Bounded utility (was Re: Pascal's Button)

From: Tim Freeman (tim@fungible.com)
Date: Mon Apr 07 2008 - 22:08:21 MDT

From: "Nick Tarleton" <nickptar@gmail.com>
>If the Friendly utility function is bounded, that would very likely
>solve the problem. This violently disagrees with my ethical intuition,
>but I now take it much more seriously than I did before.

The chunk of my brain that represents how good I think something is
has a finite size, and I suspect the utility is represented in there
more-or-less in unary. So a bounded utility function feels natural to
me.

Can you explain why it feels wrong to you?

--
Tim Freeman               http://www.fungible.com           tim@fungible.com