Re: [sl4] giant planets ignation - one more existential risk

From: Stuart Armstrong (dragondreaming@googlemail.com)
Date: Thu Dec 11 2008 - 02:56:35 MST

Side-stepping the probabilities issues, two points:

1) What are exactly the risks involved here? Having a brief second sun
in the sky wouldn't cause much in terms of permanent damage to the
planet. Even a longer lasting Jupiter detonation will cause major
ecocological damage, but will be survivable.

2) If the risk is of a deliberate detonation as an act of war, or
terrorism, then we needn't bother much; we should be working on the
political or surveillance situation for the human species, as I don't
see how a detonation of Jupiter would be more of a risk than the other
weapons people will have develloped in the meantimes.

Stuart