Re: [sl4] Re: Uploads coming first would be good, right?.

From: Mike Dougherty (msd001@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Mar 03 2009 - 12:23:39 MST

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 12:04 PM, John K Clark <johnkclark@fastmail.fm>wrote:

> I my brain stops it cannot form new memories, so when it starts up again
> the universe will appear to me to have suddenly jumped. There is no way
> I can tell if my mind continued smoothly and the universe jumped or if
> the universe proceeded smoothly and my mind stopped for a while. There
> is no reason to care either.

I think this is one of the simplest statements of your position on this
topic I've read.

I was trying to figure out how to say exactly this in earlier threads.
 Whether these jumps are measured in milliseconds or millennia, whatever
refresh rate is 'normal' will determine the kind of thinking one does within
this tolerance.

I agree that pre- and post- coffee "me" are different personalities, but
both are within some deviation from the median identity (attractor?) that
various cognitive agents would recognize repeatedly over time.