Re: Microsoft aflare

From: Samantha Atkins (samantha@objectent.com)
Date: Wed Feb 27 2002 - 02:17:02 MST

I would not describe Lisp, which is where most language ideas
originated and were first implemented (not all), as being
"obscure". For that matter I wouldn't describe the grandmother
of OO languages (at least on one side of the tree), Smalltalk,
as being obscure. There are more than a few Smalltalk gurus
behind the Java libraries. Although the Java environment makes
a lot of their efforts more difficult and much was lost to the
constraints of Java. C++ is a good OO version of C but
Objective C, which was around first, was much easier to do many
wonderful things in that are relatively difficult to do in C++.
Of course Objective C was some basic Smalltalk ideas and
abilities grafted onto C. But it was quite serviceable.
Unfortunately a large company was not behind it at the right
time. Betweeen the attitude of Jobs and the woes of the
original StepStone company in the 80s, C++ won out in that
segment. But I digress.

Frankly I think Flare is much to married to XML to have a chance
of developing into a truly innovative and effective language.

- samantha