RE: Why FAI Theory is both Necessary and Hard (was Re: SIAI's flawed friendliness analysis)

From: Gary Miller (garymiller@starband.net)
Date: Sun May 11 2003 - 14:16:41 MDT

Are we saying the intelligence required to create an FAI is greater than
the intelligence required for the Manhatten project? Because we all
know what that ended up with!

It's not that I don't trust the people now doing the work, it's just
that if it's publicized and demonstrated as doable, what's to keep
parties with less honorable motives from coming in and taking over the
project?

The only way I see to protect the FAI from exploitation until it has
achieved near omnipotence is to conceal it's progress and mask it's
achievements by crediting them to human frontmen.