Re: Why FAI Theory is both Necessary and Hard (was Re: SIAI's flawed friendliness analysis)

From: Cliff Stabbert (cstabbert@the-beach.net)
Date: Sun May 11 2003 - 14:28:03 MDT

Hi, you wrote:

CR> Eliezer wrote:

ESY> I find it hard to believe that any human truly capable of
ESY> learning and understanding that art would use it to do something
ESY> so small and mean.

CR> Apparently, the kind of wisdom required to create Friendly AI is
CR> way greater (and includes) the kind of wisdom required to realize
CR> the smallness and meanness of seeking political power.

I hadn't considered this in detail, but offhand I'd agree with that
assessment. However it differs, in one important respect, from
Eliezer's statement.

*Understanding* smallness and meanness, although probably necessary,
is not sufficient to *overcome* it. I know at least one person
capable of acting in ways they know, even as they so act, are "wrong"
(or less moralistically -- are ultimately unproductive). And I'm
reasonably certain I'm not the only one.

--
Cliff