Re: [SL4] AI --> Jobless Economy

From: Samantha Atkins (
Date: Sun Feb 29 2004 - 02:06:12 MST

On Feb 29, 2004, at 12:06 AM, Tomaz Kristan wrote:
> I don't want to enter into any political debate here,
> but what is going on with jobs in US - already?
> Not many (*enough*) new jobs are created, but there is
> no rise of unemployment either!
> How this can be?
> Unemployment is calculated with the special pools,
> asking people if they have a job, or if they want one.

Actually the formula is much simpler afaik. Count those on the
unemployment insurance roles. Forget about the ones who have
exhausted their benefits without finding work. Stop counting them.

> More and more people don't want one, because they have
> other kinds of incomes, or their wives are rich, etc.

Most people do not have other kinds of income that are adequate so I am
surprised by this assertion.

> This is not the only process, but a good one. "Soft
> take off" of this kind is not that bad, is it?

It is a total let's pretend game. Millions of people are out of work
who are not doing fine and who don't have another source of income. I
suspect it will get worse.

- samantha