Re: ESSAY: 'Debunking Hippy-Dippy moral philosophy'

From: Marc Geddes (marc_geddes@yahoo.co.nz)
Date: Tue Jun 15 2004 - 00:53:59 MDT

 --- fudley <fuddley@fastmail.fm> wrote: > On Mon, 14
Jun 2004 "Keith Henson"
> <hkhenson@rogers.com> said:
>
> >I think there is a way good and evil can be
> measured,
> >though perhaps not from a human viewpoint.
>
> Then morality would have no point. Suppose
> Hewlett-Packard announced
> that in addition to their line of volt and amp
> meters they were coming
> out with a good-evil meter, however there is no
> relationship between the
> reading on the meter and the wishes and opinions of
> the user or any
> other human; what do you think would happen to HP
> stock? I think it
> would sink like a rock because the market would know
> such a device would
> have absolutely no use.
>
> John K Clark

Circular reasoning here. You simply pre-supossed
that: 'there is there is no relationship between the
reading on the meter and the wishes and opinions of
the user or any other human'. If morality is
objective, then there WOULD be a realationship between
the readings on the meter and the wishes and opinions
of the user and other humans, since humans are moral
beings. At least SOME aspects of human morality would
correspond to the readings on the meter.

=====
                                      - Gen. John Stark

"The Universe...or nothing!"
                                      -H.G.Wells