Re: Is furthering your own goals always good? Judged by whom, and for what purpose?

From: Phillip Huggan (cdnprodigy@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Dec 16 2005 - 13:09:20 MST

"a)" is the objective part of morality. "b)" is an AGI goal system that must contain a) (at a bare minimum), or we humans get smushed. I would define the value of "a)" as at least being the quality-of-living available to us humans in the absence of any impending extinction threats. The humans alive at the time of AGI creation must be held by the AGI to a different standard than is the standard applied to the rest of the universe (I can't yet philosphically say why this is true). If pure AGI utilitarianism is applied, we die. If pure "preserve humanity" is applied, nothing happens or a progress-stomping shreik results.

Peter Voss <peter@optimal.org> wrote: People use 'good' and 'bad' in fundamentally different ways - to mean:

a) Good in itself (an invalid concept as far as I'm concerned - 'good' is
basically an adjective, not noun)
b) good to achieve a specified goal, seen as desirable by a specified
entity.

See 'Good and Bad' in http://www.optimal.org/peter/rational_ethics.htm

This also covers 'what morality is about'.