Re: Free Will not an illusion..

From: Phillip Huggan (cdnprodigy@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Dec 24 2005 - 15:35:22 MST

http://www.surrey.ac.uk/qe/cemi.htm
  This is similiar to the model of brain functioning I use. It explains a little more than does the Strong-AI theory that consciousness is emergent solely from computation. My explanation of Free Will involves some neurology and experiments measuring action potentials using an EEG I first read in "The Emperor's New Mind". The upshot being that for some borderline thoughts, there appears to be just over a second before a series of synchronized neuronal firings occur, which when consciousness can reinforce or surpress the firings. The limited free-will would hypothetically come from exercising this veto in a way that referenced brain areas that model our desired future outcome of a borderline decision, or alternatively, from referencing brain areas that an individual has built up by making these decisions in the past. The experiment was performed by Kornhuber in 1976.

uddley@fastmail.fm> wrote:
    <SNIP> what the fucking hell <SNIP> Idiotic! <SNIP> “free will”

Yahoo! Shopping