Re: FAI prioritization

From: Matt Mahoney (matmahoney@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Apr 05 2008 - 10:04:42 MDT

--- Stuart Armstrong <dragondreaming@googlemail.com> wrote:

> > Correct, many people believe that AGI is impossible within the next 50
> > years,
>
> I'm virtually one of those - I think it is very unlikely to have AGI
> in the next 50 years (and always have) because I feel we don't have a
> theory of consciousness (most versions I know are either mathematical
> models that do not capture our current intuitive ideas, or boil down
> to "we'll know it when we see it").

There is no theory of consciousness because there is no such thing. But there
is a universal human belief in consciousness. Maybe we need a theory to
explain why this belief evolved.

Meanwhile AGI is developing under your nose. Just don't expect it to have
human form or human behavior. Have you noticed how Google is slowly getting
better at natural language understanding and image recognition? Have you
noticed how humans are letting computers think for them more and more?

-- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@yahoo.com