Re: [sl4] Re: goals of AI

From: Pavitra (celestialcognition@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Nov 24 2009 - 12:53:01 MST

Matt Paul wrote:
> -- you say obviously, but it seems much less than obvious to me. There
> are aspects of our "intelligence" that I think may not truly be
> physical, not a neurochemical process, not a logic system that can be
> mathematically represented.

That implies a process that's not merely nonphysical, but _nonlawful_ --
that is, its behavior is neither deterministic (like all known laws of
nature) nor random (like quantum events, sort of).

Actually, that's not quite true; the magical element could behave
deterministically according to a noncomputable function. It might be
possible to empirically demonstrate the existence of such a factor in
human cognition if it exists, for example if its outputs can be verified
by a computable function as obeying the noncomputable law.